Misogyny and the music scene

NATALIE DAVIS

Music continues to contain misogynistic messages.

In general, when one thinks of the most misogynistic songs on the airwaves today, the mind naturally gravitates towards rap music.

Artists in hip-hop and rap use derogatory wording and raunchy music videos to assert their masculinity and dominance over women, as well as establish themselves as the alpha male amongst all the others.

Though much of rap music revolves around this sexist mentality, hip-hop isn’t the only genre responsible for portraying blatant gender inequality.

The worst offenders of musical misogyny are often also the most catchy and popular songs. They sell the most copies and therefore reward the artists which put  sexist messages out to women all over the world.

Record companies and artists are well aware that sex sells, and they’ve capitalized on its draw. It’s apparent in all genres, from country to rock to pop music.

Unfortunately, this consistency in music doesn’t seem to bother most people enough to take a stand against misogynistic content in what they’re listening to. It’s much easier to concentrate on the beat rather than the lyrics, and party without wondering what your “let it be” attitude will lead to when the younger generation follows suit.

If a line isn’t drawn somewhere, the artists of the future, taking example from the success of their predecessors, will become worse and worse.

This problem has undoubtedly become more prevalent in the last few decades, and the increasing popularity of hip-hop and rap has contributed significantly to the increase in acceptance of misogynistic songs.

However, the concern is not new by any means. Think back to the early rock-and-roll bands, to the men who shaped modern rock and planted the seed of objectifying lyrics that are so widespread today.

Elvis Presley released a song in 1955 entitled “Baby Let’s Play House,” containing the lyrics “I’d rather see you dead, little girl / Than be with another man.” John Lennon re-used those poignant words ten years later, in his song with the Beatles entitled “Run for Your Life.”

Along that same time period, we had Jimi Hendrix belting out the powerful lyrics of “Hey Joe,” a song centred on domestic abuse. He sang “I’m going down to shoot my ole lady / I caught her messing ‘round with another man.”

Of course music is just a small part of the problem modern society faces of degradation of women and glamorization of violence. It is also prevalent in television, film, video games and the internet, but music is the oldest offender.

In retaliation to the generally male-centric music scene, strong-willed women realized that the pen is mightier than the sword. These women produced songs that not only denounced misogyny, but got their point across without harsh words, intonations of violence or verbally bashing men as the male lyricists had resorted to in their music.

In the 60’s, Etta James released a heart-felt record “I’d Rather Go Blind” the lyrics of which go as follows: “I would rather go blind, boy / Than to see you walk away from me.”

An interesting contrast from Elvis’s choice of words, don’t you think? She doesn’t say a word about a desire to go and shoot her ex-lover for his choice to leave her; rather she wishes pain on herself.

Now, in the modern age, there are female singers with a bit more gumption. Pink’s power-ballad from last decade “U and Ur Hand,” for instance, or Beyoncé, who has likewise put out a plethora of girl-power melodies inspiring young girls to be more assertive and have higher self-esteem.

This issue is multi-faceted, but there are many artists producing music that respects women, doesn’t use us as tools to sell records, and conveys a message that women should be treated as equals.

Perhaps it’s time we re-evaluate what we’re supporting in music and media, so generations of the future have a more respectful example to follow.

Photo: Fora do Eixo/flickr

• Welp

Unacceptable.

• angry foodie

Yawn…this is silly.

• douglas fir

Dear Ms. Deloris Tucker

it ain’t personal
    strictly business baby
    strictly business

• Only rappers do bad things

Feel free to quote the song Kerosene, God knows the singer, who discusses a female burning down all her man’s possessions and him as well. This is as sexist as any of the songs you quoted. My god, did someone in contemporary song-writing discuss the desire to end the life of a past lover who wronged them? Shit call the cops because I think Shakespeare is a misogynist dirt-bag who fouled his contemporaries with misogyny. Get a clue! For an example:
    “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”

It took me 5 bars, some 30 license plates
    I saw her mustang
    And my eyes filled up with rage
    I brought my pistol but I ain’t some kinda fool
    So I walked right in barehanded
    She was on his arm while he was playing pool
    Just like I used to do
    She kissed him while I got a beer
    She didn’t think I’d show up here
    I’m a crazy ex girlfriend

I watched her for awhile but I didn’t like her walk
    She came across kinda cheap to me
    But hey hows that my fault
    She looked at my man like he didn’t have on a stitch
    Somebody tell that girl
    To step up to that plate
    I wanna Pitch
    Little Bitch

Well those pretty girls can play their game
    But their damn well gonna know my name
    I’m a crazy ex-girlfriend

Well I started throwing things and
    I scared folks half to death
    I got up in his face and smelled whiskey on his breath
    I Didn’t give it a second thought to being thrown in jail
    Well baby to a hammer everything looks like a nail
    And I was mad as hell

Well those pretty girls they’re all the same
    But they’re damn well gonna know my name
    I’m a crazy Ex-Girlfriend

I’m a crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    I’m a crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    I’m a crazy Ex-Girlfriend——- What a b*tch, but not as bad as rappers! Who knows what fiction is?

• lulu

Girls do it to…… its not only men ………

• Davey Johnson

“We need an idea for the upcoming article.”
    “I know, let’s blame men for something!”

-Typical day at The Sheaf

• ba-dum-tsh!

Natalie Davis? I could have sworn this was written by Captain Obvious.

• Jesus

Valid topic and discussion.
    Horrible article.
    Did you just put Pink and Beyonce above Lennon, Presley and Hendrix?
    1. They were products of their times
    2. Those lyrics are a bit out of context and definitely have more meaning than your “face value presumptions”
    Didn’t Beyonce sing “If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it”? I could easily make the assumption that she’s a materialistic control freak. If you want a musical example of sexism/female objectification look no further than Miley fucking Cyrus.

As a musician and a human I found this read to be very disappointing. Please do some actual research and hard thinking before ever bringing this up again.

Thanks.