Local businesses promote physical activity during social distancing

By in Sports & Health
Shawna Langer / Graphics Editor

It can be frustrating to maintain your physical activ­ity during a normal month, and increasingly so during a pandemic. We sit alone in our houses wondering what we can do to pass the time to make things just a little more bearable.

We are stuck in limbo wait­ing to see what’s to come, and this waiting game might be harming our mental health. It’s well known that high levels of social isolation can lead to negative self-esteem and feel­ings of loneliness.

You might not think that physical activity should be a priority for anyone right now but research suggests other­wise.

Physical activity, whether it is team sports or individual ac­tivities, have positive impacts on mental health disorders such as anxiety and depres­sion.

While we cannot safely re­sume our regular activities un­til COVID-19 is no longer an immediate threat, we can find some activities to do in the meantime to help balance out our state of mind.

Going to the gym is not an option as all fitness centres in Saskatoon are temporarily closed. Luckily for us, there are online resources put together by the city’s local businesses to help us stay active while at home.

The local dance and aeri­al studio, Saskatoon Pole & Dance Studio, has organized free daily fitness challenges developed by their instruc­tional staff. Each challenge can be done at home without addi­tional equipment and is suit­able for various fitness levels.

They also offer free virtual classes through a video confer­encing app. Participants have the option to pay for the class or put class credits towards the free classes to help support the local studio, but monetary contributions are completely optional.

At the Local Barre Fitness, they are offering free live barre classes through their Instagram page. These classes are designed for people with different levels of fitness and incorporate total body move­ments to get a complete work­out.

While not everyone will be interested in these challenges and classes, they do offer a nice alternative to in-person classes that are currently unavailable. Having these resources offered online allows participants to complete the workout in their own home without risking ex­posure.

With the closure of the cam­pus Fit Centre, USask Rec and Human Performance Center are sharing an at-home work­out series that will continue until they reopen.

Physical activity can play a significant role in an indi­vidual’s mental and physical wellness so it is important to remain active during difficult times to help reduce the nega­tive impact. Especially at times like these, everyone should take care of themselves by be­ing mindful of their overall well-being.

The free resources available might not be the perfect fit for everyone, but they can act as a guide to help individuals devel­op their own exercise routine.

Social distancing doesn’t mean you can’t continue to be physically active. And with the stress of a pandemic surround­ing us, staying physically active is just that much more import­ant.

Shawna Langer | Graphics Editor

Graphic: Shawna Langer | Graphics Editor

Latest from Sports & Health