Recipe: Vegan Valentine’s chocolate

By in Sheaf Eats/Sports & Health

Recipe adapted from chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients

1 package strawberries (optional)

½ cup coconut oil

6 tbsp. maple syrup

½ cup cacao powder

If making chocolate-covered strawberries, wash the strawberries and set them aside to dry. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper, and set aside.

Combine coconut oil with maple syrup in a small saucepan. Melt and stir together over low heat. Slowly add cacao powder to the mixture, stirring constantly. Stir until smooth. Remove chocolate mixture from heat.

For chocolates or chocolate bars, pour the mixture into flat containers or candy moulds. Freeze until solid, then pop the chocolates out of the mould. Store in fridge or freezer until ready to serve.

For chocolate-covered strawberries, let cool until chocolate mixture thickens slightly. Dip each strawberry in the chocolate mixture, placing them side by side on the lined baking sheet. Freeze baking sheet for about 2 minutes, until the chocolate solidifies, without letting the strawberries freeze. Remove from freezer.

If the chocolate coating is too thin, spoon the leftover chocolate mixture over the strawberries and then refreeze for another minute. Separate chocolate-covered strawberries with a butter knife, and store in fridge until ready to serve.

Amanda Slinger / Copy Editor

Graphic: Mỹ Anh Phan

Latest from Sheaf Eats