Recipe: Five-ingredient chili

By in Sheaf Eats/Sports & Health

Adapted from gimmesomeoven.com

Serves 4-6

Time: 25 minutes

1 lb. ground beef or turkey

1 small white onion, diced

3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes

2 (15 oz.) cans beans, drained (black beans, kidney beans, a combo or whatever you like)

2 tbsp. chili powder

Optional: 2 tbsp. olive oil (if using ground turkey)

Additional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, cilantro, sliced avocado, etc.

1. In a large stockpot, cook ground beef or turkey over medium-high heat until browned, stirring frequently. If using ground turkey, you may need to heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the stockpot beforehand. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked beef or turkey to a separate plate and set aside.

2. Reserve 1 tablespoon of grease in stockpot, and discard the rest. If using ground turkey, you may need to add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then, add the diced onion to the stockpot and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until soft.

3. Add remaining ingredients to the stockpot along with the reserved beef or turkey, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with additional toppings if desired, or store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.

Slow-cooker instructions: You can also make this chili in a slow cooker. Before adding the meat to your slow cooker, brown it on the stovetop and drain it. Then, slow cook the chili on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

Sarah Bains

Tags:
  • Guest

…thank you?

Latest from Sheaf Eats