Predictions for the 83rd annual Academy Awards

By in Culture

On Feb. 27 we will be treated to the 83rd Annual Academy Awards, co-hosted by James Franco and Anne Hathaway (strange choices, I know).

With the Oscars once again so close, I feel the need to give my predictions on who will take home the little gold men this year. I get the feeling this will be another dull, predictable year, so let’s hope there are more surprises this year and that my predictions are horribly wrong.

Best Picture

If you had asked me this question a month ago, I would have said The Social Network without hesitation. Now, I’m not so sure. What I am sure about is that the big winner this year will not be 127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right or Toy Story 3. True Grit may have an outside chance, but its lack of an editing nomination doesn’t bode well (only nine films have ever won Best Picture without an editing nomination, and the last was Ordinary People in 1980). And if Winter’s Bone wins, I will eat my shoe, à la Werner Herzog. No, this year is between The Social Network and The King’s Speech. If the Guilds are correct, it will be the latter.

Will win: The King’s Speech

Best actor

Bet on the Brit. Jeff Bridges won’t repeat his win from last year, Jesse Eisenberg is too young, Javier Bardem barely got nominated and James Franco is hosting the ceremony, so imagine how awkward it would be if he won. Colin Firth is your winner.

Will win: Colin Firth for The King’s Speech

Best actress

Anyone who has seen Black Swan should know that if Natalie Portman doesn’t win, it will be a disgrace. Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Williams should be glad for the recognition and too few people have seen Rabbit Hole for Nicole Kidman to have much of a chance. Annette Bening has an outside chance for The Kids Are All Right, but if she won, it would be more to make up for all her losses in the past.

Will win: Natalie Portman for Black Swan

Best supporting actor

If The King’s Speech sweeps everything, Geoffrey Rush will win. If things go according to plan, Christian Bale will finally get some well-earned recognition. John Hawkes, Jeremy Renner, and Mark Ruffalo aren’t even in the competition.

Will win: Christian Bale for The Fighter

Best supporting actress

This is a little more undecided than the other acting races. Conventional wisdom says that Melissa Leo will win because she has picked up most of the other awards of the season. However, she could split the vote with co-star Amy Adams. Also, if it looks like the Academy is going the way of True Grit, Hailee Steinfeld could win for her amazing lead performance. Jackie Weaver will not win for Animal Kingdom and Helena Bonham Carter’s performance in The King’s Speech isn’t showy enough.

Will win: Melissa Leo for The Fighter

Best director

It should be Christopher Nolan, but that’s beside the point. It won’t be David O. Russell or Darren Aronofsky, and the Coen Brothers don’t want another award. They hardly seemed happy when they won for No Country for Old Men. David Fincher could cause a big upset and win the Oscar after having lost the Directors Guild Award. However, I am forced to say Tom Hooper because Best Director almost always goes to the winner of the DGA.

Will win: Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech

Best original screenplay

Mike Leigh often gets nominated but he never wins, and he won’t win this year for Another Year. The Fighter and The Kids Are All Right are well respected, but they won’t win. Christopher Nolan could pull off a very deserving upset, but best bets are on David Seidler’s labour-of-love screenplay for The King’s Speech.

Will win: David Seidler for The King’s Speech

Best adapted screenplay

Have you seen The Social Network? Did you hear that dialogue? When you first heard about “that Facebook Movie,” did you possibly dream it could be as funny or smart as it turned out to be? No? Well, you have Aaron Sorkin to thank for it being as funny and smart as it is. This is Sorkin’s award.

Will win: Aaron Sorkin for The Social Network

Other Categories

Best cinematography: True Grit

Best editing: The Social Network

Best art direction: Alice in Wonderland

Best costume design: Alice in Wonderland

Best makeup: The Wolfman

Best original score: The King’s Speech

Best original song: “We Belong Together” from Toy Story 3

Best sound mixing: Inception

Best sound editing: Inception

Best visual effects: Inception

Best animated film: Toy Story 3

Best foreign language film: Incendies

Best documentary film: Inside Job

Latest from Culture