The Culture section needs someone interested in all aspects of the arts world: film, music, television, visual arts, video games, student life, drama, etc. Even lifestyle-related content, like food and fashion, fits comfortably in this section. It is very open-ended, but a focus on local arts and culture is preferred. The Culture Editor should feel comfortable interviewing, writing, editing and keeping in close contact with contributors to help them with their articles.
A. Editorial Responsibilities:
– gathering and generating story ideas relevant to students and the University, ensuring that arts coverage is broad, remaining abreast of arts news and events on campus and notifying the Editor-in-Chief of events and issues when appropriate
– assigning all culture articles and features, including coming prepared with a detailed list of the culture section at weekly editorial meetings
– assigning photos and graphics for stories
– ensuring that all deadlines are met by volunteers and helping them with the writing process
– writing culture articles on a regular basis, though ensuring volunteer submissions provide the bulk of the section
– conducting a first edit on all stories for the section
– conducting three rounds of careful updates to the story file following copy editing
– drafting photo captions and headlines/sub headlines for the section
B. General Responsibilities:
– participating in weekly editorial staff meetings
– assisting the Editor-in-Chief and Communications Director with fundraising, event planning and other events for the promotion of the Sheaf as needed- maintaining an office presence
– upholding the reputation of the Sheaf while carrying out all activities
C. Recruitment and Training:
– meeting with arts writers as often as necessary to ensure that their skills are improving
– facilitating weekly section meetings
– recruiting volunteers to assist with the publication of the newspaper
– helping to train the following year’s Culture Editor in April
8.5 Month Term (August 2021 to April 30, 2022)
Salary: $9,000 * may be expected to work from home depending on University guidelines and recommendations.
Application deadline for Culture Editor is Friday August 13th at 4pm.
#UsaskSheaf #YXEJobs #Culture