Campus Briefs: U of S COVID-19 updates

By in Sports & Health
File | Kathlyn Zales

Currently in Stage 3 of its reopening plan, the university is expanding on-campus services while continuing to follow the mandatory guidelines.

Buildings

All university buildings remain closed, and only a limited number of staff, faculty and students may enter with permission. St. Thomas More will soon be opening its building for students interested in using the library or other quiet spaces. Masks are required for anyone on campus.

Place Riel and U-Pass

The Place Riel Student Centre is currently closed but has limited access by appointment. The U-Pass is currently only being assessed automatically for students taking in-person classes and those living in residence; all other students have to opt in. Student ID cards can be ordered online and picked up at the Shop USask Preston Crossing location once they are ready.

Health and wellness

The Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy is pick-up only while the optometry and dentistry clinics are available by appointment. Campus Vision U of S is booking appointments by phone or online, and the dentistry clinic will only accept new patients by phone.

Food

Choices at STM is available for takeout while Marquis Culinary Centre and their new location, House and Quarter Takeaway, offer takeaway and pick-up options. Louis’ Loft is open with social-distancing seating and also has pick-up options during select hours from Monday to Friday.

Libraries

All libraries are still closed but students have the choice of requesting contactless pick-up or for materials to be directly mailed to their homes. The university library’s website has more information on specific details.

Travel and residence

Travel is strictly limited and it is recommended that students neither travel internationally nor provincially, although the university is reviewing protocols for international students arriving to campus. The travel information website has more information. The apartment-style residences are open, with spots available for students attending in-person classes, students currently living in residence, and those with approved exceptions.

Services

Protective Services has limited operations but are available 24/7 and can be reached at 306-966-5555. USask Rec will remain closed, but outdoor fitness classes and Fall Term Intramurals are available. CPR and first-aid training is available to any students, faculty and staff looking to upgrade their certificates. USask Rec will also be offering virtual learn-to recreation to all University of Saskatchewan students. Veterinary medical services are limited but the Veterinary Medical Centre is gradually increasing their operating capacity. XL Print & Design is open by appointment.

Fiza Baloch | Staff Writer

Photo: File | Kathlyn Zales

Latest from Sports & Health