Campus Briefs: COVID-19 precautionary measures at the U of S

By in News

Courses

Classes at the University of Saskatchewan have been moved to remote delivery for the rest of the term. Professors have been given special permission by the University Senate to alter their syllabi given the need to adjust course content.

Staff

The university is encourag­ing all staff to work from home, in cases where this is possible. However, the university’s ICT services are currently prioritizing instructors’ transition for teach­ing remotely.

Facilities

The campus is now closed to the general public. However, some core services remain open to students including the Murray Li­brary, residences, food services, research facilities and health services. On the other hand, all of the university’s recreational facilities are closed for the time being, and Late Night Study at the Murray Library has been cancelled.

International travel

All international travel for U of S students, faculty and staff have been suspended until further notice. The university has issued a recommendation for anyone returning from any international travel not to come to campus for 14 days after their return. All do­mestic university travel will now require the university’s approval.

Events

All non-essential events on campus have been cancelled due to the province’s ban on gather­ings of more than 250 people.

Residences

The university residences remain open. Students living in residence are instructed to contact residence@usask.ca for instructions if they are experi­encing flu-like symptoms, and to stay home and call HealthLine 811 if they have recently travelled outside Canada or were exposed to someone who has COVID-19.

Future students

The U of S is currently moni­toring the situation to determine what to do about application deadlines, language tests, among other considerations, if prospec­tive students are having trouble meeting the university’s admis­sion requirements while self-iso­lating. The university is also evaluating their protocols for the arrival of international students to campus.

The U of S Students’ Union is continuing to operate with re­duced services, and the student decision-making bodies are connecting online to vote on de­cisions and keep the union run­ning.

The USSU elections are still on, with campaigning happening mostly online due to the candi­dates’ forums being cancelled. Voting is happening on PAWS on March 25 and 26.

The USSU Office, Louis’ Loft, Louis’ and XL Print & Design re­main operational, with reduced hours. The centres are open for drop-in services from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday through Fri­day, but are no longer available as a gathering space.

Students can still access the uFood program at ussu.ca/food­centre.

Ana Cristina Camacho | News Editor

Latest from News