Big hip hop collaborations of the decade

By in Culture

Ever since its creation in the 1970s, hip hop music has been on the rise. The genre has gone on to change popular music and has become a worldwide phenomenon, even going on to surpass rock as the most popu­lar genre in the United States in 2017.

These songs were some of the biggest hip hop hits of the decade because of their use of “posse cuts” — a type of song featuring successive verses from multiple high-profile rappers — to cele­brate what made the genre be­come a powerhouse.

RCA Records | Supplied

“Monster” by Kanye West feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver

Since Kanye’s 2010 album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was declared album of the de­cade by Billboard magazine, it is only fitting that this awesome collaboration kickstarts this list. Even though it is hard to recon­cile Kanye’s earlier music with his new gospel focus feature Je­sus is King, this horror-focused track still holds up and is one of the best on the acclaimed album.

Complementing the excep­tional production on the track — reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s hit song Thriller — is how each artist sticks with the horror-theme in their verses, which contributes to the track’s uniqueness. But the crown jew­el is Nicki Minaj’s sporadic high energy finale which makes the song iconic.

“1 Train” by A$AP Rocky feat. Kendrick Lamar, Joey Badass, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Ac­tion Bronson and Big K.R.I.T.

While many artists rose to fame during this decade, per­haps one of the biggest was A$AP Rocky. But there was a time — before he was making international headlines in 2019 for his arrest in Sweden — that the rapper was launching a solo career from the A$AP Mob crew.

This song appeared on Rocky’s first debut studio album and features six of the most popular rappers of the decade. The sim­ple looping track of “1 Train” al­lows each artist to highlight their skills without being interrupted by a chorus or hook.

Every BROCKHAMPTON track

The Texas hip hop group BROCKHAMPTON formed in 2015 and became widely popular following the release of their tril­ogy of SATURATION albums. Part of what made hip hop the most popular genre was its rise on the internet, and BROCK­HAMPTON is no different as it was created through an internet rap forum.

Iridescence, BROCKHAMP­TON’s 2018 album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart and has received much critical acclaim. The group also represents the changing nature of hip hop with their music’s fo­cus on a diverse range of issues like sexuality, mental health and racism.

Noah Callaghan/ Staff Writer

Photo: Supplied

Latest from Culture