A food fanatic’s guide to Saskatoon’s newest eateries

By in Culture

Saskatoon has always had a thriving food scene. Over the past year, many new restaurants and cafés have found a home here, adding to Saskatoon’s reputation for being a destination for foodies everywhere. 

In addition to having more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in Canada, Saskatoon was named ‘Canada’s Hottest New Foodie Destination’ by Forbes this year. To celebrate that, here are some of the newest local restaurants and cafés to grace the streets of our city.

Odla

801 C Broadway Avenue

This restaurant is named after the Swedish word meaning to farm, cultivate or grow. If you’re looking for simple, creative and delicious meals using locally-sourced produce, head over to Odla.

Husband and wife duo Arlie and Brett LaRoche provide delectable farm-to-table meals using seasonal fruits, vegetables, meat and honey. These fresh ingredients come straight from their holistically-
managed farm, Farm One Forty. There is a market adjacent to the restaurant where visitors can pick up some fresh produce.

Favourite meal: Butter poached northern pike

Favourite drink: Pisco violetta

Price: $$

Instagram: odla.saskatoon

Ace Burger

1002 Broadway Avenue

Feel like you may have heard of them? Before opening up a permanent location on Broadway Avenue, Ace Burger was a popular food truck cruising down the streets of Saskatoon, filling up hungry stomachs with burgers, milkshakes and hand-cut fries wherever they stopped. 

This burger joint prioritizes environmental sustainability in that everything on your tray is compostable — including the tray itself.

Favourite burger: Crispy chicken burger

Favourite drink: Strawberry milkshake

Price: $

Instagram: aceburgeryxe

Beppi’s Gelato

616 10th St E #1

Just off Broadway Avenue, locals have been getting a little taste of Italy right here in sunny Saskatoon. Beppi’s Gelato stands out because of its wide array of artisanal gelato and sorbetto. 

If one serving of gelato isn’t enough for you — because let’s face it, there will never be such a thing as too much gelato — ask about one of their beautiful gelato cakes. They also have a variety of vegan and gluten­-free options too.

Favourite flavour: Green tea

Favourite drink: Latte

Price: $

Instagram: beppisgelato

Yay! Thai

152 2nd Avenue S

From Karma Cafe owners Vivek and Roshni comes a new endeavour, Yay! Thai. Delivering delicious, authentic Thai cuisine in a welcoming environment, their goal is to combine nutrition and positivity to promote a happy, healthy lifestyle. 

If you’re vegan or vegetarian and looking for a new place to call your favourite restaurant, this is the place for you. On top of that, they are also environmentally friendly, using reusable bento boxes for meals on the go. 

Come for the delicious plant-based menu, and stay for the bright, cheerful atmosphere. 

Favourite meal: Mii kati

Favourite drink: Pink hibiscus latte

Price: $$

Instagram: yay.thai

Sometimes, you just don’t feel like cooking and having to do the dishes after, Or maybe you’re just looking to treat yourself. If you can relate to either, head over to these locally-owned restaurants and see some of the best food Saskatoon has to offer. 

While you are at it, keep an eye open for these soon-to-be-opened restaurants: 

Prairie Sun Brewery

650 Broadway Avenue

Restaurant Kashmere

820 Broadway Avenue

Gabriella Fourie

Graphic: Shawna Langer / Graphics Editor

Latest from Culture