Huskie football is back on track after the home opener

By in Sports & Health
Students participate in the traditional toga race at halftime during the U of S Huskies Homecoming game on Sept. 6, 2019.

The dogs captured a 40-7 win against UBC Thunderbirds.

The 2018 Hardy Cup champions took care of business in week two of the 2019 Canada West football season.

“It wasn’t really us [in week one] — a lot of self­-inflicted stuff,” head coach Scott Flory said about the teams’ five turnovers in the opening week loss on the road against the Manitoba Bisons.

Flory praised the improvements made by starting quarterback Mason Nyhus.

“He’s a special kid, a special talent, and only going to get better with each snap,” Flory said.

The Nyhus’ era appears to be promising, as the Regina product has paid his dues as an understudy during his first two seasons as the Huskies’ backup QB. 

“I’m very comfortable with the offense — I know the playbook very well,” said Nyhus. Going on to praise the 6,278 fans in attendance at Griffiths Stadium in Nutrien Park, he said, “I wasn’t surprised by any means, we have a great atmosphere every time we play at home.” 

Nyhus was relieved to get the big win. 

“Everything tastes better, feels better, everything is better after a win. [Starting the season] 1-1 is huge instead of 0-2, no doubt.” 

The next matchup for the Huskies will be on the road against the provincial rival Regina Rams.

“I’m still at home in Regina — it is my hometown,” said Nyhus. “I’m definitely excited for it, no doubt about it.”

Tanner Michalenko/ Sports & Health Editor

Photo: Victoria Becker/ Photo Editor

Latest from Sports & Health