Huskies women’s hockey: Golden goals scored by Fry and Lundberg

By in Sports & Health
University of Saskatchewan forward Rachel Lundberg reacts to her overtime goal after Game 3 of U Sports Canada West quarter-final action against the Mount Royal Cougars in Merlis Belsher Spectator Arena on February 17, 2019.

The University of Saskatchewan Huskies women’s hockey team had a roller coaster of emotions when they played against the Mount Royal Cougars in the Canada West quarter-final on Feb. 15 to 17 — especially for forwards Nicole Fry and Rachel Lundberg.

Nicole Fry, who is a first year education student, scored her first goal as a Huskie during the second period of game one on Feb. 15. During a power play, defence, Leah Bohlken, passed the puck to Fry from the blue line. Fry then took a slap shot from the point and scored.

“It was so surreal. I didn’t really expect it to go in but I definitely had a lot of emotions and excitement once it got in,” Fry said. “My friends were definitely really happy and supportive of it, and definitely the coaches as well after the game, they were pretty proud of me to get the first one off my back.”

University of Saskatchewan forward Nicole Fry dribbles the puck during the first period of Game 1 of U Sports Canada West quarter-final action against Mount Royal Cougars in Merlis Belsher Spectator Arena on February 15, 2019.

Rachel Lundberg, a fourth year business student, was the overtime hero as her goal won the game and the series for the Huskies — sending them into the semi-final. Game three was a stalemate until the third overtime period when forward, Shyan Elias, passed the puck to Lundberg, who scored a one-timer with 10 seconds left on the clock.

“That’s definitely the biggest goal that I have scored in my career,” Lundberg said. “When a game gets that long, it really is anybody’s game. Everyone is getting tired and mistakes were being made and it’s just about whoever can capitalize on the other team’s mistakes. I was happy that I got to share it all with my teammates and contribute to the big win.”

Heywood Yu

Photos: Heywood Yu

Latest from Sports & Health

The Sheaf Workouts

Running away from the rundown It’s finals season, baby, and you know