Record-breaking night at Merlis Belsher

By in Sports & Health
U of S Huskies goalie Taran Kozun watches the puck on the stick of a Mount Royal Cougars player on Feb. 2, 2019 at Merlis Belsher Place.

It was an eventful night at Merlis Belsher Place on Feb. 2, with the Huskies men’s hockey team taking on the Mount Royal Cougars in a 6-1 game. While this was not the end of the season, it was the last home game of the regular season.

Second-year goalie Taran Kozun put his 19th win of the season under his belt and surpassed a Canada West record for playtime without having a goal scored on him. Kozun’s regular season shutout streak began Jan. 19 towards the end of the second period in a game against the Lethbridge Pronghorns.

Kozun diligently defended the net, not letting a single puck pass by him, causing this streak to break the previous record during Saturday’s busy third period against Mount Royal — an end in which Jesse Forsberg, Collin Shirley and Sam Ruopp picked up three of the Huskies’ six goals of the game and the only goal for the Cougars was scored.

The goal scored by Cougars forward Connor Chartier, with only four minutes and 42 seconds left of the game, put an end to the record-breaking fun, stopping Kozun’s streak at 267 minutes and 32 seconds. Kozun’s streak beat the previous record by an entire 12 minutes. The former record holder, Kris Lazaruk, earned his streak goaltending for the Calgary Dinos during the 2014-2015 season.

Those twelve minutes raised the bar a little higher for goaltending, and with his Huskies career still going, Kozun could be back to raise it even higher next season.

The Huskies will be travelling to play the Manitoba Bisons on Feb. 8 and 9.

Shawna Langer

Photo: Piper Woytiuk

Latest from Sports & Health

The Sheaf Workouts

Running away from the rundown It’s finals season, baby, and you know