Darts and degrees: Don’t outlaw the ways we cope

Smoking is the number one most preventable cause of premature death in Canada, but cigarettes are just one addiction that is symptomatic of an increasingly stressed student body.

Students won’t stop smoking just because they can’t on campus.

In a 2016 survey, the University of Saskatchewan found that less than one in 10 of its students regularly uses cigarettes, cannabis or hookah. Though it’s common knowledge that smoking has horrendous implications for our health, students across Canada continue to do it.

McMaster University just announced plans to go smoke-free in 2018, becoming at least the 14th Canadian campus to ban smoking in an effort to save the lungs of students.

However, smoke-free campuses are not conducive to kicking a nicotine addiction — smokers will continue to smoke, just in a different location.

Rather than focusing on the act of smoking itself, universities should consider the motive. I am someone who smokes occasionally. I do it during exam periods, usually because I’m a mess, who has left all her papers until the last minute. I do it to de-stress — unhealthy habits like smoking are a logical response to campus life, which is a huge source of stress for many.

If universities want to implement smoke-free campuses because smoking is bad for you, they had better close university bars, ban Coca-Cola and demolish Tim Hortons, because I’m pretty certain that alcohol, sugar and caffeine addictions are also unhealthy.

Campus life is inherently stressful, and unhealthy habits are a coping mechanism for this stress. I engage in many habits at university that will probably shorten my life — including binge drinking, smoking and drinking coffee — and I spend a lot of my time horizontally, eating junk food and watching Netflix. I don’t feel like I should be banned from doing these things, given that university life is fundamentally defined by independence and personal choice.

The U of S should not feel obliged to decorate the campus with “smoking kills” posters or to ban students from smoking completely. Rather, they should try to de-stress students as much as possible, providing alternatives to a swift dart between classes.

For instance, there are services like PAWS Your Stress, which brings therapy dogs to different spots on campus, as a lovely and fluffy alternative to cigarettes. I’m not saying that a dog can cure addiction, but events like this are a nice break from the classroom.

Of course, the university should offer maximum assistance to those who want to quit their addictions, but it shouldn’t forcefully impose restrictions on students’ personal choices by banning smoking entirely.

If you are struggling with addiction, the Student Wellness Centre offers urgent and non-urgent physical and mental health care to U of S students. Contact student.wellness@usask.ca for details.

Marianne Holt

Photo: Shirley Charles

• Rich

The problem with smoking isn’t just that it shortens your life or damages your lungs, but that it does so to the others around you. As someone who has asthma and other allergies to smoke and various other airborne items, having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a building is incredibly frustrating. I don’t really mind if you’re wrecking your lungs, as long as you’re not doing it to mine.

For other vices, it’s easy enough to point out that you don’t see a lot of second hand alcohol or caffeine. Anything aerosolized becomes a problem for everyone that’s breathing in the area, moving it from something that you can opt into, to something that you have to go to lengths to avoid.

• Marianne Holt

Thank you for reading my article! I completely agree that second-hand smoke is an issue and smokers should definitely not be smoking next to buildings. People should be considerate and smoke in a space away from people.

I do however disagree with your point about other vices not affecting other people. Okay a Tim Hortons will not damage and devastate families but alcoholism or drug addiction can ruin the lives of not just the addict, but the people around them!

• Aaryn

Whenever I walk by the Arts building, I have to endure second hand smoke, or when I’m waiting for the bus, there’s always someone smoking. My allergy to tobacco means I can’t just deal with it, I have to leave the area. I am not choosing to be around smokers, unlike how someone would be choosing to date an alcoholic….or drug addict.

• Nonsmoker

Perhaps the solution should be to provide an enclosed area where smokers can de-stress.