Les Belles-Soeurs: Your backstage pass to a Greystone production

By in Features

After countless hours of painting sets, hanging lights, rehearsing lines and fitting costumes, the University of Saskatchewan’s Greystone Theatre is ready to unveil its latest production, Les Belles-Sœurs. This English adaptation of Michel Tremblay’s witty French tale takes you back in time to 1960s Montrèal, where the image of the perfect housewife is not all that it seems.

With the co-operation of many staff and students from seven different drama classes, this production is no small feat. Third and fourth-year drama students were cast for their roles one year in advance, and set designs were drafted early in the second semester. Production began following the 2016 February break, and since then, the small but mighty Greystone Theatre has witnessed a whirlwind of activity.

Carla Orosz, the production manager and resident designer believes that time management and teamwork are only a few of the skills that these students learn — skills that can’t be acquired in a lecture hall. She also believes that her students have a passion for theatre, and that is what drives them to spend long hours doing what they love.

All of their hard work is finally paying off. Les Belles-Sœurs runs from Mar. 23-Apr. 2 in the John Mitchell Building on campus. For more information and tickets, visit informationstation.ca.

Photos: Caitlin Taylor / Photo Editor