Homophobia in sports continues

SAMSON SWAN

Jason Collins, left, is an openly gay NBA player.

Jason Collins, right, is an openly gay NBA player.

In a time where there is growing support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer rights and equality, the sports world has some catching up to do. While there is work being done by a number of athletes to support the LGBTQ community, homophobia is still a prevalent issue in the culture of sports.

Take the example of Michael Sam, Missouri defensive end and current NFL draft prospect who would become the first openly gay player in the NFL. In an ideal world, this wouldn’t be an issue for NFL owners and players. Despite the support that Sam has received for his brave actions, some NFL personnel are saying that this could affect his draft stock.

In an anonymous interview with Sports Illustrated, one NFL executive stated “I don’t think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet. In the coming decade or two, it’s going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it’s still a man’s-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It’d chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room.”

Former New York Jets head coach Herm Edwards also said that Sam would be “bringing baggage into the locker room.”

With NFL personnel making anonymous statements on how Sam’s sexual orientation will hinder his ability to have success in the league, this suggests that the problem could be even bigger than it seems. Clearly there are some people affiliated with the NFL that are not ready to accept an openly gay teammate or employee.

The prevalence of homophobia in the NFL can be further highlighted by looking back at former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe who has alleged that he lost his job largely due to the Management and Coaching Staff’s displeasure with his activism and advocacy for gay rights.

The attitudes of players such as former Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk, who has publicly spoken out in opposition to gay marriage, shows the potential for hostility that Sam needs to be prepared for coming into the league.

Though he will undoubtedly have to deal with hostility and opposition in the NFL, Sam will also have plenty of support coming into the league. There has been substantial public support for Sam via Twitter by current and former players including Deion Sanders, Kurt Warner and 2014 Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith.

Despite all this support, it’s clear that Sam’s road to success in the NFL will be more difficult now that he is openly gay. But perhaps there could be a silver lining.

His coming out will make things that much easier for other athletes who are in fear of coming out because of how it might affect their relationship with teammates and coaches — or their athletic careers in general.

Sam’s decision to be himself and live with the consequences will support others looking to do the same thing. The consequences remain to be seen, but hopefully Michael Sam can move the sports world one step closer to acceptance.

Another major step forward in the sports world learning to embrace homosexuality is the Brooklyn Nets’ signing of Jason Collins to a 10-day contract.

Collins is the first openly gay man to play in the NBA. While Collins came out at the conclusion of last season, he was a free agent and wasn’t signed until Feb. 23. Hopefully, Sam and Collins are just the beginning of a much needed change in sports — the elimination of homophobia.

As an athlete myself, I’ve seen a lot of change in terms of combating homophobia in sports.  That being said, there are still times when I hear homophobic slurs in the locker room or at competitions. With that kind of hidden, private atmosphere people might think that their comments aren’t hurtful because a gay person isn’t hearing them.

In sports if we publicly support LGBT athletes but privately use insensitive homophobic language, we are not doing anything to remove homophobia from sports culture. If we want to promote acceptance, and remove homophobia from sports altogether, it’s up to athletes, coaches and fans to stand up against it.

This might seem like a lofty goal but it is attainable if we change our actions and words.

Photo: joshua8/flickr

• EN

Jason Collins is on the left…

• EN

Pretty sure it should be the right.

• JJ

Jason Collins is on the right in a Hawks Jersey..

• TheSheaf

Thanks for catching that, it’s been fixed now. Sorry about the confusion!

• Dustin Tennent

Yep, the guy on the left is Sasha Pavlovic. Not Jason Collins.

• Bob

I would like to comment that Michael Sam has been fairly evaluated by scouts and this was certainly prevalent during the NFL scouting combine that just wrapped up on the 25th of February. There was no blatant comments regarding his sexual orientation, rather their evaluation of his draft status was dictated by his performance and measurables. For those interested, he will most likely be drafted in the 5th to 7th round. He is in a difficult position because he falls under a category many college DE’s do. He is too small to line up as a 5 technique defensive lineman, and he is less then proficient in his pass coverage and zone drops. His tight hips and average hip/ankle flexion at the top end of his rush relegates him to a situational pass rusher and special teams player. His draft status has not changed since before his announcement was made. I just would like to make this known, so people do not misjudge the situation due to a lack of education and experience of the subject. Additionally, I will say he answered an extensive amount of questions at the NFL Combine, and eliminated any doubt that he would be a future problem. Many GM’s , coaches and players have publicly stated that they would be happy to have him as a part of their team. This is just information I feel that adds context the situation.

• angry foodie

The only problem I see here is that the article seemed to imply that Jason Collins was a free agent because he was gay. Reality is of course is that he was always a journeyman bench player, a good basketball player and a pro no doubt, but not a star.

He is past his prime, he has never won an NBA title, he had little to offer teams looking to add depth to their bench until Brooklyn picked him up.

He was a free agent because the NBA is an insanely competitive league to get into. Smaller rosters than any other major sport, a less developed farm system, the options for basketball players are limited, especially in the US. He always could have went to China. Maybe not Turkey though.

• Timothy Wright

I just want you to think of the situation where your a heterosexual man or women in a locker room changing with someone who is homosexual. Tell me that isn’t awkward and ill show you a liar. I played football for 4 years and a teammate said he was gay in the locker room. We all changed in another room or covered up because we always caught him staring at our privates. Thats why.

• Derp

You’re a homophobic dimwit.

• Guest

It’s awkward when it’s with other straight men too.