Huskies in hot pursuit of number one ranking

Heading into the mid-season break the Huskies women’s hockey team earned two much needed wins over the Mount Royal University Cougars on Nov. 29 and 30 in Calgary, Alta.

The Dogs hold an 11-3-2 record and sit in second place in Canada West — one point behind the top ranked University of British Columbia Thunderbirds.

The Huskies snuck past the Cougars 1-0 to win Friday night’s game.

In the first period both teams played cautiously and failed to generate many scoring opportunities. The opening frame ended with the score at 0-0.

The Huskies broke the deadlock at 7:24 in the second period. The Dogs had a one man advantage after Cougar Ellen Lind was taken off for body checking. Carlie Hrenkiw used the opportunity to evade three Cougar defenders and launch a shot into the top corner. The goal gave the Huskies a decisive 1-0 lead.

The Cougars tried to push for the equalizer, but Huskie goalie Cassidy Hendricks protected the Dog’s lead and didn’t let anything past.

The first half of the third period looked exactly like the first, with neither team taking many risks.

In the closing minutes of final period the Cougars began to pressure the Dogs and fought to draw even, but they couldn’t get past the strong Huskie defense.

Hendricks made 22 saves in the shutout, while at the other end of the ice Jessica Ross turned away 26. The Huskies went 1-3 on power plays while the Cougars were 0-3.

The Huskies won another close contest on Saturday night with a 5-4 win in overtime.

After a no-goal first period, both teams picked up their game in the second.

The Huskies got on the board 14 seconds into the frame with a goal from Rachel Johnson. The Cougars evened the score at one apiece after Taralynn Suzuki found the net at 2:37. The Dogs regained a one goal lead after Cami Wooster scored to end the second frame.

Goals came quick in the third period, with the teams combining for five. Just under four minutes in Huskie Alexee Klassen found the back of the net to give her team a 3-1 lead. Fifteen seconds later, Danielle Klein replied with a goal for the Cougars to cut the Dogs’ lead to one.

The Cougars tied the game after Jade Osadchuk’s goal at 9:37 and held a lead for the first time after Emily Harrison scored at 18:19. The Huskies needed a goal and they got just that when Sara Greschner beat Ross with 25 seconds left in the third.

Both teams had opportunities to score in the opening minutes of overtime and it seemed like the Cougars grabbed the lead when they put the puck in the net. However, the referee ruled it to be no goal and the teams remained tied.

With time winding down Marley Ervine corralled a loose puck in the Cougars’ crease and scored the winning goal for the Huskies just shy of the seven minute mark.

The Huskies return to action on January 3 and 4 in Manitoba against the University of Manitoba Bisons.