Celebrate St. Paddy’s with your best brews

By in Culture
Guinness is good for you!
Guinness is good for you!
St. Patrick’s day is right around the corner. It’s a celebration of Irish culture and more importantly for us university students, an excuse to drink.

Here are five of the best Irish drinks you should be downing on March 17.

Guinness

Guinness is one of the most common Irish beers drunk on St. Paddy’s Day. A stout beer with a large, creamy head, Guinness isn’t necessarily for everyone. If you don’t like stout or dark beers, this beer will definitely not be your first choice. However, if you haven’t tried a stout beer, this is the one I would recommend. It’s a little bitter and very thick, but not so much that it is unappetizing.

Kilkenny Irish Ale

Brewed since 1710 in the Smithwick Brewery in Kilkenny, Ireland, this ale is among the most iconic Irish beers. Kilkenny is red ale and, like most ales, has a significantly lighter taste than a stout like Guinness; it is creamy and goes down smooth. You’ll be drinking a piece of Irish history if you choose to drink Kilkenny for the night.

Magners Cider

This one is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day partiers who don’t like beer. Magners Irish Cider tastes a lot like bitter, carbonated apple juice. It has little to no alcoholic aftertaste and is perfect for anyone who likes drinking but doesn’t like the taste of alcohol.

Smithwick’s Irish Ale

Another brew from the Smithwick Brewery, this Irish ale is a nice reddish amber colour. It is sweeter than Kilkenny but has a slightly bitter, or hoppy, aftertaste. If you like your amber ale with a sweeter taste than normal, then this is the beer for you.

Crown Float

The Crown Float — even though this article is supposed to be exclusively about Irish drinks — is too good not to mention. Half Guinness and half English cider, in this case Foundry Cider, the Crown Float is sweet while retaining its beer-like flavour. This drink was allegedly created as a political statement, with the Guinness floating on top of the English cider to symbolize Ireland’s superiority over England.

So there you have it: some Irish drinks that you can enjoy this St. Patrick’s Day. As always, please drink responsibly and find a safe ride home!

Photo: Puamelia/Flickr

Tags:
  • What about harp

Harp, everyone always forgets about Harp.

• B

Because you should. Harp is, in Ireland, the beer of choice for the most discerning of winos, hobos, and bums. That it gets marketed as a premium product in Canada is almost as unbelievable as Foster’s to an Aussie.

Anyway, none of those is anywhere near add class as Beamish.

Latest from Culture