BREAKING: bassist of local punk band masturbates on camera

By in Culture

When he’s not making sure students get their poutines and dollar beers in a timely fashion, Louis’ manager Dan Smolinski fronts one of Saskatoon’s most promising new punk bands, Lady Deathstryke. Formed in 2010 by three friends with a shared affinity for punk music, comic books and cheeseburgers, as their Facebook page suggests, the band (whose name comes from an X-Men character) has already released one EP and expects to release their second, I’m Terrified, in late November.

On Oct. 9 they released their second video, for the single “I Don’t Wanna” from the upcoming I’m Terrified. The song “was born from university contempt,” according to Smolinski.

Dan Smolinski at Omfest, March 3, 2012

“We just had a moment in writing sessions where [bassist Luke Brisebois] had his fill of homework and yelled that he just wanted to drink and play in his band and read comic books on the couch.”

The video shows Brisebois doing exactly those things, and was even shot in his apartment by Saskatoon filmmaker Tyler Baptist.

“I make Luke star in all of our videos and I told him to just be gross and hang out on the couch,” said Smolinski, who later clarified that the band has only released two videos and thus “all” is probably not the correct word.

To ensure that the band continues making videos and releasing delightfully catchy music, watch the video and tell Smolinski you liked it next time you go to dollar draft.

Latest from Culture