BRIEF: Peter MacKinnon named officer of the Order of Canada

By in News
Outgoing U of S President Peter MacKinnon.
Outgoing University of Saskatchewan President Peter MacKinnon was recently named an officer of the Order of Canada “for his contributions to education and for his commitment to innovation and research excellence.”

The announcement, which included 66 new appointments, was made by Gov. Gen. David Johnston on Dec. 30. MacKinnon, who will complete his tenure as U of S President at the end June, was the only selection from Saskatchewan this year.

Other new appointments included former prime minister Paul Martin, hockey coach Scotty Bowman, senior diplomat Robert Fowler and journalists Brian Williams and Stuart McLean.

The recipients will be invited to accept their insignia at a ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa to be held at a later date.

Established in 1967 as one of the countries highest civilian honours, the Order of Canada recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to community and service to the nation. Over the last 45 years, more than 5,000 people from all sectors of society have been invested into the Order at different ranks.

The last person from Saskatoon to be chosen was James A. Dosman in December 2010 “for his contributions to the advancement of agricultural health and safety in Canada.”

On Feb. 1, 2011, MacKinnon was also named to the nine-person Advisory Committee on Public Service to Prime Minister Stephen Harpe

Photo: David Stobbe/University of Saskatchewan

Latest from News