Sask MP Brad Trost claims he killed funding for Planned Parenthood

ISHMAEL N. DARO
Web Editor

Brad Trost

Conservative Brad Trost claims he and other pro-life MPs have successfully defunded the International Planned Parenthood Federation.

The MP for Saskatoon-Humboldt — the riding that contains the University of Saskatchewan campus — addressed the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association’s annual convention on Saturday and thanked its members for their help in stopping federal funding for the group.

The IPPF provides sexual and reproductive health services, including abortion, to people in developing countries and has been a target of Trost’s before. In late 2009, Trost circulated a petition calling for the federal government to stop funding for the IPPF, prompting a counter-petition from the University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union in support of the organization.

The issue seemed to disappear, but his remarks on Saturday brought the issue of abortion back up, right in the middle of the federal election campaign.

“Let me tell you, and I cannot tell you specifically how we used it but those petitions were very, very useful and they were part of what we used to defund Planned Parenthood,” Trost is heard saying in a recording released to media by the Liberal Party.

He continues to say that “it has been an absolute disgrace that this organization and several others like it have been receiving one penny of Canadian taxpayers’ dollars.”

[audio:http://thesheaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/BradTrost.mp3|titles=Brad Trost remarks to pro-life group]Brad Trost remarks to pro-life group (mp3)

The only problem is that no formal decision has yet been made to stop funding the IPPF. The organization had made a funding request for $18 million over a year ago and has been left waiting. And although the Conservative campaign was quick to distance itself from Trost’s comments, they did not confirm or deny his claim that the IPPF had lost its funding.

“He’s a backbench MP who, without question, isn’t aware of the way that our program works,” Dimitri Soudas, the prime minister’s spokesperson, told reporters in St. John’s at a hastily called news conference.

Trost’s rivals in Saskatoon-Humboldt condemned the Conservative’s comments.

“This is an important revelation about Trost,” said NDP candidate Denise Kouri in a statement. “I think voters must now make an informed choice. Do they think it is right that this young man presumes to take away the ability of women struggling around the world to make important life choices for themselves?”

Liberal candidate Darren Hill told the StarPhoenix, “Why does Trost continue to spread ignorance and fear on an issue that even his own leader has declared are null and void?”

• Kel

I loathe this suit-wearing, hate-spewing derelict.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Grant-MacDonald/506503555 Grant MacDonald

Let's hope that he loses his seat!

He is a homophobic bigot & religious lunatic!

Trost roams around with a bible under his arm!

There is no scientific evidence to prove any of the cross related bogus elements of christianity. Our early human ancestors; on this earth … go back more than 6 million years … 5,996,000 years before the Greeks, Romans and the Jews. Christianity is basically a 2011 year old fictional cult.
    In the year 300 AD when Emperor Constantine, who to some was the first pope; went on to fabricate & market Christianity – a fantasy – which turned out to be one of the most hateful & evil concoctions ever perpetrated on the world.

I am the son of a catholic father who never went to church and a protestant mother who took us to church and Sunday school. Onward christian soldiers; I think not. Such absolute drivel. To be manipulated by a santa claus; an easter bunny and worst of all a bogus cross?

The evil writings in Leviticus 18:22 … against gays – depicts: “P” … “priestly rules” & expanded by the pope; homophobes and religious frauds … to attack the gay community and never meant to apply to the public — but to priests. Leviticus exists in the old testament & torah … & was written long after Moses — 600BC.

How would you like it … if hate speech was directed to your brother or sister as you sat in the pew; spewed by some better than thou religious lunatic with a hateful black book about Leviticus — under his arm?

Vote Trost out!

The Right Honourable Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chretien told the Vatican that there was to be no cross erected over the Canadian Parliament buildings figuratively speaking; when the Pope demanded the Prime Minister go against gay rights. An Alberta bishop had the audacity to say that The Canadian Prime Minister would go to hell for going against the church. Such outrageous evil threats. The Right Honourable Prime Minister in return; basically told the Pope to go to Hell! The Honourable Irwin Cotler, Canadian Minister of Justice, stood for equal rights for the gay community. With reference to protecting the children: The Honourable Hedy Fry, member of the Canadian Liberal Parliament, who happens to be a doctor who delivered many babies; spoke eloquently to defend the rights of babies being born and stated that she was in fact defending their rights by speaking on behalf of equal rights for the children and youth of the future — defending their integrity and dignity.