Huskies what’s up

By in Sports & Health

HowlerDORIAN GEIGER
Sports Editor

Soccer: Tripping to Lethbridge to take on the Pronghorns, the men’s and women’s Huskies soccer teams fought for footing in the Canada West after mediocre starts to the season.
The men’s crew came away with a 1-1 tie against the Pronghorns while the women’s Huskies squad put a winless Lethbridge away 6-3. The men’s and women’s Huskies both improve to 2-3-1 on the season and will travel to British Columbia this weekend to do battle with Simon Fraser and Victoria.

Volleyball: The Huskies women’s volleyball team looks to resume its lowly spot in the Canada West if the Regina Cougars invitational tournament this past weekend was any indication. A last place finish in Regina, where they came in eighth, will hopefully put things in perspective for a team that had has minimal success in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport for many seasons running.

Across the prairies in Manitoba, the men’s Huskies volleyball team was overcome by the Manitoba Bison over the weekend by a tally of 3-0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-21). The men’s squad begins the CIS season in Regina against the Cougars on Oct. 23.

Hockey: In the pre-season Huskies Alumni Classic hockey tournament taking place at Rutherford Rink over the weekend, the Huskies were narrowly beaten in overtime by the University of Alberta Golden Bears. In a contest that was characterized by closeness, two of the Canada West’s hockey heavy-weights put on a good display of talent and let fans know no shortage of animosity exists between the Huskies and Golden Bears. With an abundance of new recruits, look for the Huskies men’s hockey team atop Canada West standings when they kick off the season with their first conference game on the road against the Manitoba Bison on Oct. 2.

Having a far less busy pre-season than the men’s squad, the women’s Huskies hockey team begins their quest for CIS excellence on Oct. 3 against the Bisons.