Too much information

CHANTELLE BONOGOFSKI
Opinions Writer

Just when you thought we knew as much as we would like to about each other, new technology makes it even easier for us to learn more.

Comparatively, do we really want to know everyone’s thoughts numerous times throughout the day? Unfortunately Facebook, blogs, reality TV and the notorious Twitter can make it happen.

I remember learning about Twitter earlier this year at a Canadian University Press conference and thinking, “Who the hell would ever do that?” Now everyone has seemed to jump off the Facebook bandwagon and onto Twitter’s. We can even read what celebrities are doing daily instead of a shelling out $5 for a tabloid magazine that may or may not contain true information.

A Facebook addict myself, I am embarrassed to say I go on numerous times a day. I recently looked through my list of friends and over half of the people on there I have never really had an actual conversation with. My number of friends is low — 196 people — compared to others; I am still baffled by how many “friends” people have on their account. Who really knows 1, 000 people that well to allow them to see personal information? Why am I allowing some people I actually can’t stand into my life? 

Is it a deep human desire for people to know our business? Do we all just want our five minutes of fame? Now we can have it for longer than a few minutes. We can express when we get up, where we are going, what is upsetting us at that particular moment and any other random tidbit that we probably wouldn’t express out loud to a group of people. The Internet allows us to communicate rapidly and often unintelligently.

However, the Internet is not the only culprit allowing us to air our dirty laundry, TV is to blame as well. I believe TV is where this all began.

I hate to blame Survivor, but I will. It paved the way for wannabes to be seen. Thus reality TV was born and spawned too many shows to count. Who really watches Canada’s Worst Driver? And are we supposed to believe the girls from The Hills are more fabulous than us? I sure hope not, but I’m afraid some may feel that way.

I will confess to watching only a select few on occasion — Project Runway, America’s Next Top Model and High School Reunion. Speaking of High School Reunion, do we still need to actually celebrate how many years we have been away from school? Or can Facebook, Twitter, etc., keep all of us up to date with former classmates. Who needs to rent a hall, hire a caterer and maybe a band for us to socialize anymore? We can just do it online.

What really scares me is that we seem to be so concerned with telling people about our lives by posting photos and continuously updating our status that we have lost touch with the people around us. Texting makes communicating easier than picking up the phone and actually listening to someone. Plus we can multi-text and save time for posting more information about ourselves.

All the new technology seems to have increased our self-obsession and desire to be noticed when, instead, we should work on natural rapport with people.