Two Saskatchewan-made thrillers

By in Culture

GREG REESE
Arts Editor

Two thrillers, shot here in Saskatchewan, will premiere on the same night at the Broadway theatre Sept. 19 at 7 p.m.

Surveillance, an independent film which first opened at Cannes in 2008, stars Bill Pullman and Julia Ormond, and was directed by Jennifer Lynch (daughter of the phenomenal David Lynch). It will run along side a locally crafted short film, called Interpersonalities.

Interpersonalities - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Interpersonalities - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Hulo Films — a company run by U of S commerce grads Ryan Lockwood and Stephen Huszar — produced Interpersonalities. Writer Jason Yonge and director Aidin Nahki are both from Saskatoon and the film showcases the talent of a number of Saskatchewan actors.

“The two films show the breadth of the industry: we can do the Hollywood productions but we can also do it ourselves. We can do it both ways. These films, playing together, give the audience an understanding of how Saskatchewan plays in the global film industry,” said Huszar.

In addition to the Saskatchewan backdrop, a dark, psychological motif pervades both films. Interpersonalities is a film that warps common understandings of mental disorder, while the plot of Surveillance surrounds the tracking of a serial killer through rural Nebraska.

The acute familiarity of the horrible and the bizarre, which David Lynch is so well known for, seems to have passed from father to daughter as Jennifer Lynch’s second feature has terrifying written all over it. The two films will certainly complement each other in theme and mood.

“Interpersonalities is a 14-minute short film; a psychological-thriller,” said Huszar. “The plotline is the puzzle of mental health disorders and explores it through the characters. The story is based around a patient named Tyler and Doctor Rex. Within this patient-doctor relationship, within their dialogue, multiple personalities come into play. It is a bit of a mind twist.”

Surveillance - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Surveillance - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Huszar suggested that the premiere would have an interactive component. In addition to a question and answer period with cast members and industry people from both films, there should be some variety of “reality game.” More than this he wouldn’t say. But expect some unique audience involvement in the evening.

Hulo Films has been running in Saskatoon for over three years now. They produce everything from commercials and documentaries, to dramas like Interpersonalities.